The rural town of Binghampton developed in the late-1800s at the intersection of railroads and streetcar lines through what had been the farm of an Irish immigrant, William H. Bingham. Today, Binghampton lies at the heart of the city of Memphis. It was annexed by the city of Memphis in 1919 and has experienced many changes due to (de)segregation and suburbanization. At the turn of the century, the community was home to several major factories employing almost 3,000 people and four grocery stores. In 1948, the architectural beauty, East High School, was completed in Binghampton under the guidance of famous Memphis architect Everett D. Woods.
Today, more than 33% of residents live below the poverty line with high rates of obesity, infant mortality, and unemployment. The community is currently identified as a food desert and the public schools are underperforming. Residents of the tight-knit community maintain hope despite their challenging environment and, when asked to describe their neighborhood, residents chose words like "beautiful," "changing," "friendly," and "fun." Community assets such as the Lester Community Center, Christ Community Health Services, SOS, Binghampton Development Corporation, Eikon Ministries, and Shelby Farms Greenline provide the community with a source of expectation for their future.